As advice is updated to reflect changing circumstances you may wish to bookmark this page.
Guidance for riders and ride leaders
- There is a limit of 15 (fifteen) riders on the ride, including the ride leader. This is a maximum, not a target number; use discretion depending on where you are riding.
- Maintain social distancing at all times.
- The ride leader has the discretion to limit the number of riders.
- Booking with the ride leader guarantees your place; you may be disappointed if you turn up without booking. The leader’s contact details will be on the rides list.
- Cancel your place if your plans change.
- Do not turn up to the ride if you have Covid-19 symptons or are meant to be quarantining/self-isolating.
- Follow the guidance given by the pub/cafe for your safety.
- Be aware of those behind you and prepare to wait at junctions to show the direction of travel.
- Be self-sufficient in food and drink; do not share.
- Carry and use hand sanitiser. Wear a mask where applicable.
- Have the tools and the ability to make basic repairs yourself. If you need help or use others tools ensure you both use sanitiser.
- Check the rides list for any last minute changes before setting off.
- There is advice on cycling during restrictions from Cycling UK.
Guidance for ride leaders
- There is a limit of 15 (fifteen) riders including yourself. You have the discretion to limit numbers to whatever you consider manageable.
- Before the ride remind the group of their responsibilities to maintain social distancing and the wearing of masks when applicable.
- Turn away any rider displaying Covid-19 symptons or anyone refusing to share their contact details.
- Plan rest stops which have sufficient space for social distancing
- Details of the ride have to be published on the rides list
- You must have full (i.e. not affiliated) membership of Cycling UK on the date of the ride
- All of the above are conditions of the Organisers liability insurance (provided by Cycling UK for ride leaders for potential losses incurred by a rider or third-party during a ride).
- Our existing ride leader advice is still relevant
Further information from Cycling UK
Coronvirus Officer, Cycling UK Reading
- 24/3/21 – revised to new guidance applicable from 29/3/21
- 27/11/20 – removed line about on-tour accommodation.
- 14/9/20 – revised for 6 maximum and legal requirement to record contact details.
- 2/9/20 – revised using guidance published by Cycling UK on 27/8/20
- 3/7/20 – added information about using a contact list for pubs/cafes
- 4/6/20 – first publication