- This is to be a 4 day tour based around the Wiltshire Cycleway – an on-road route that has been around for a while now, promoted by Wiltshire County Council.
- I have found myself cycling along sections of it in the past and have found it to be a fine route, and have long fancied doing the whole route, but have not had the time until now!
- It will be a long weekend : Saturday 29th June – Tuesday 2nd July starting and ending in Great Bedwyn, just west of Hungerford.
- Roughly 30-40 miles per day.
- There is the option of adding a day either end if you want to cycle to/from the start (I may do this myself). Otherwise Great Bedwyn station is a direct train ride from Reading.
- Start time from Great Bedwyn on day 1 yet to be decided. I need to check train times and train types.
Train times on Saturday morning leaving Reading:
1) 07:35 (arrive 08:18)
2) 08:48 (arrive 09:44)
& there is another service at 08:18 requiring a change at Newbury and 09:04 (bit tight)
Day 1 Bedwyn to Malmesbury
Start time 09:45
The route (39 miles)
En-route: Marlborough 11’s (12 miles). Lunch at the Trotting Horse, Bushton? (24 miles)
Camp site: Burton Hill Camp Site
Day 2 Malmesbury to Frome
Route (37 miles)
Camp site – Seven Acres Campsite – B&B in Frome?
Day 3 to Salisbury
Longer route (47 miles)
Shorter route (30 miles quite flat and leisurely much along the Wylye Valley)
Campsite ( for the long and short routes – B&B in Salisbury)
Day 4 Salisbury to Gt Bedwyn
Route (draft 33.1m)
Cycling to and from the start?
B&Bs in Hungerford or see link above for camping options
…or cycle on the day from Reading – c. 35 miles along A4
07866 033 638